Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cross Country Skiing


The Woods in my backyard are lovely, dark and deep but especially so with a frosting of new snow. We got 6 new inches this weekend. I can slide on my skiis and be deep into the pines in a matter of minutes with the falling snow kissing my cheeks like a lover. OK, maybe not that dramatic, but fun anyways.

Shussing up the trail is like a rhythmic whisper that soothes the soul - I become one with the black and white landscape. I never understood the kick and glide descriptors of cross country skiing - it feels more like skating with extra long skates. When I go downhill it's a thrilling glide with the added adventure of avoiding brambles on the way down. I love it... When I go off the trail I just bushwack my way through the trees and blaze a new way to get through.
Sometimes living in New Hampshire is worth the high property taxes and low pay. :)

1 comment:

  1. living in a place like our backyard in NH is worth it!

    ReplyDelete